Thursday, October 27, 2011

Co-design Project - Wool and Static Electricity

I've gotten answers for the Q1: Which item(s) do you want for carrying your laptop?, and some people shared their stories about laptop cases as well. Thank you so much!

And one of them said that:

I'd prefer ONLY interesting, fine design of your style messenger bag with one or two pockets (for adapter, external HD, USB memory sticks and etc), which is comfortable and can fit in a computer in a synthetic pocket (sleeve). The pocket I have is made of an antistatic material.

Long time ago, I was carrying a CD-player in a felt bag. Fibers were falling off and filling in mechanical parts of that CD-player. I had to clean internal parts from time to time.
 

I mentioned antistatic material because one of the most damaging factor, which is not so known among users, for computers/TV and some other electric devices, is static electricity. As far as I remember, wool is one of the materials which in contact with plastics produces (if I may say so) statics.

!!

Yes, that's right! First I thought it's actually a bad idea to make laptop cases by wool felt after reading her comment, but then I noticed that both problems can be solved if I use cotton or linen lining on wool felt, or probably there must be other solutions as well. Moreover, if I can solve these problems then these aspects will turn into good reasons to produce new products, not offering just new styles of design.

After quick research about wool and damaging PCs by static electricity, I got to know that friction with wool and plastics causes static electricity, and it is recommended to touch some metal parts to discharge electricity from surface of your body before you install / uninstall inner parts of your PCs to protect from damaging by static electricity, and even gloves with metal wire woven are sold for that reason.

Oh, no, without her comment, I would have made laptop cases which might destroy your PCs by static electricity far from protecting your PCs..!!

I will make the research more about wool and static electricity, and hopefully find unique solutions. Let's see how it goes. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, again! So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment